In the apple world, sweet often gets the spotlight. Think about it…everyone loves apple cider, apple pie, applesauce, and apple juice, but what about the savory apple dishes? We decided it’s time to give those recipes a place to shine, which is exactly what this blog post is all about.
If you’re looking for a sweet and savory recipe for your next family breakfast or brunch, look no further than these apple cheddar scones. A twist on the classic apple and cheddar pairing, these scones are buttery, cheesy, and sprinkled with the perfect amount of apple sweetness. We just hope you enjoy making them, because they will more than likely become a family favorite.
Apple Cheddar Scones
Recipe from Taste of Home
Yields: 32 mini scones or 16 regular scones
Total time: 35 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk egg, yogurt and 2 tablespoons milk; stir into crumb mixture until just moistened. Stir in apple, cheese and sage.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 6-in. circle. Cut each circle into 8 wedges; cut each wedge in half.
- Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush tops with remaining milk; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Apple Cheddar Scone Reviews
Check out these raving reviews (and tips) from people who have made these savory scones.
- “These are my favorite scones to make. They have such a unique yet amazing flavor; so fluffy and tender too. The savoriness of the cheese is so well complimented by the sage and sweet sugar.”
- “Rich and tender. I would use more sage next time.”
- “I added 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice (I will add more next time). Instead of sprinkling the sugar on top, I poured the sugar in a bowl…after brushing with milk, I dunked the top [of] the scone in the sugar for extra sweetness and crunch! It was delicious.”
If you are in the mood for a less savory apple scone recipe, try these apple cinnamon scones.
Looking for more apple recipes? Check out some of our past blog posts featuring apple dishes, desserts, and drinks.