Today we’re sharing one of our favorite recipes – homemade apple cinnamon bagels. Oh, what a wonderful smell it is! And guess what? Making homemade bagels is easy! Most of the time is spent allowing the dough to rest and rise. And what a wonderful treat for breakfast to pair with your favorite hot drink.
- 2 ¼ teaspoon (or one envelope) active dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cup apple juice or cider, microwaved for about 45 seconds
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- Combine the yeast, flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt in the bowl of a mixer with the dough hook attachment inserted. The ingredients can also be kneaded by hand in a regular bowl. Pour in the warm juice or cider and knead the dough until it forms a ball (about 3 minutes). Turn off mixer and remove the dough hook, cover and let rise until doubled (1 ½ hours).
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each into a ball and poke a finger into the center to make a hole. Allow the dough to rest for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425° and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Combine the remaining 2 teaspoons of cinnamon with the sugar and set aside. Once the water is boiling, drop 2 to 4 bagels in at a time allowing each to boil for one minute, turning each halfway through the minute. Remove the bagels with a slotted pancake turner and place back on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all bagels are boiled.
- Sprinkle each generously with the cinnamon/sugar mixture and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. You will surprise family and guests with these wonderful bagels. Try experimenting with other spices to create unique breads for your breakfast table. Or, when in season, purchase other fruits such as apricots, peaches or cherries from Robinette’s Orchard to make these delicious bagels.
Yum! We hope you enjoy these delicious bagels as much as we do. There’s just something about homemade breads that you can’t beat, especially when you pair them with fresh fruit. After making these, you may never go back to store bought bagels again!
Make sure to stop by Robinette’s Apple Haus Bakery for an assortment of fresh, homemade breads, pies, pastries, donuts and more that will delight your tastebuds. We even offer gluten free options. We can’t wait to see you!